[SunRescue] Re: Disk partitioning

RR rr at rits.com.au
Sun Jul 23 00:15:13 CDT 2000

rescue-request at sunhelp.org wrote:

> I consider good partitioning part of the "black magic" that a good Unix
> admin does.  On a system with only 1 disk, nobody cares, but on systems with
> multiple disks, there's a LOT of tuning to be done by splitting things up.

You'll NEVER get agreement on the "best" disk partitioning, it's as
personal as favourite shell or text editor or window manager.  Each has
it's good and bad points, it's up to the person in the hot seat at the
time and what they feel is best for their situation.  Personally, I like
seperate / /usr /var /opt /home etc. it's what I learnt and I haven't
had a good reason to change yet.  BTW, I also prefer /bin/sh, vi or ed
and OpenWindows, I guess it's my minimalist Unix upbringing but I've
learnt not to depend on non-standard things like bash, emacs (ugh!) or
pico.  Admittedly CDE is reasonably standard now, but it's real
bloat-ware compared to OpenWindows with olvwm (CDE on an IPC with 24Mb
of RAM is usable, CDE isn't).

Rob.

PS. I had a good laugh/cry at the weekly computer auction a few nights
ago, two real gems in the lineup of PeeCee rubbish.  One well cared for
4/260 complete with big-arse mono monitor and 2 SMD disk boxes (same
size box as the 4/260).  I was tempted, but it wouldn't have fit in my
car, and I have absolutely nowhere to put it.  The PeeCee punters went
stupid when I told them it was a Sun, final bid price was $AUS120.  The
other gem was a lot of 2 HP9000 G50's with 3 x 90MHz cpus and 256Mb of
RAM each, plus CD and DDS2 tape drive, final bid price was $AUS360 each
with the winning bidder thinking he got some killer windoze boxes.  I
didn't have the heart to clue him in, nor the money to outbid him.