[SunRescue] IPX questions, suggestions

Fotiou, Marios Marios.Fotiou at gbr.xerox.com
Tue Jul 18 06:04:12 CDT 2000

Dear all

I recently receiveid a nice oldy, a SUN SparcStation IPX. However I have
several questions to ask you as there is no documentation anywhere for it
and there is no one around old enough to know enough about it. First I know
that it has a AMD Lance Ethernet interface (le0) and there is an AUI
connector at the back. However I have never set up a 10base5 before and I
have no idea how it is done. What I want to do is attach it to my PC which
runs RedHat 6.1 and has an attached 3Com EtherLink III card on it with an
AUI connector. Does anyone have any idea of how to do this? In adition I
have an internal 2x SUN CD-ROM which I would love to connect to that IPX box
so as to avoid network OS install(RedHat 6.1). Can that be done or it is
impossible? Do you think it is wiser to use a lighter OS than RedHat, like
NetBSD, OpenBSD etc? What I really want to do with it is experiment and
maybe use it as an X-teminal to my Pentium as the screen of the IPX is
better and the quality of the keyboard and mouse are uncomparable!

Regards,

Mario