[SunRescue] Admin newbie - how to resize mounted partitions on SPARC2 running Solaris 7

EAguinaldo at aol.com EAguinaldo at aol.com
Fri Jul 14 19:36:45 CDT 2000

I would like to request assistance from the gurus on the list regarding
resizing partitions on a SPARC2 running Solaris 7 w/ the latest patch cluster
from Sun.

I have mount points set up for /, /usr, /var, /exp;ort/home, /opt.
/usr/openwin and /tmp on a 4.3GB drive that I used to replace the 500MB HD
that came w/ a refurb'd SPARC2 w/ 64 MB RAM on which I installed Solaris 7
for home use.

I was able to setup networking thru my Linksys Cable/DSL gateway to my cable
modem and d/l'd some packages from sunfreeware.com among other places mostly
precompiled packages in gzip format. I am finding for packages like 'gcc',
'emacs' and potentially 'KDE' and the Qt libs that the size of my /var
partition is not large enough for pkgadd to install the package successfully.
 I have extra space on my /opt partition w/c I can give up for the /var
partition to use but how do I do this w/o destructively modifying my /opt
partition where I have d/l'd the software and have other Sun packages already
installed?

I know the format command is involved but how can I safely free up space on
/opt and give it to /var?

Unfortunately until I get some space on /var, it seems pkgadd is incapable of
properly completing the installation unless there are options to pkgadd to
redirect its output to /var to a temporary space I can create on /opt (if
this is true, please specify the steps).

Thanks in advance.

T. Lim