[SunRescue] Q on "optimal" OS for Sun4c machines, now that Solaris 8 won't run

CyrusM.Reedreedc at cc.wwu.edu CyrusM.Reedreedc at cc.wwu.edu
Thu Jul 13 01:04:30 CDT 2000

Some of us "college" people still know the hardware too.  I hope I never
consider myself "too good" to work on and fix my own tools (i.e.
computers).  If I don't know how it works, or can't fix it myself (even
if I don't *have* to), I'm less interested in using it.  Maybe I'm just a
control freak and want to do *everything*. ;)  I started with Windows
(3.1) back on my first PC (which I built myself, with a little help), but
have been using Linux now for over two years.  My next project is *BSD,
which I'm hoping to get set up on a SPARC 10 that I was recently given on
semi-permanent loan (yes! real hardware!).  I'll agree that I've seen
quite a few CS majors that don't seem to know a whole lot about how
computers actually work; but I could be biased being a Physics major. ;)
UNIX is still used quite a bit in the sciences; in short-have faith, not
everyone has turned to the Dark Side. :)

-Cyrus