[SunRescue] I killed my A3000

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 30 17:37:10 CST 2000

Hi folks!

I know at least some of you have heard me rant about this A3000
that I picked up. Recently there was an RSM2000 up for sale on
eBay. It got 0 bids. After the auction was over I sent the seller
a 'lowball' offer via e-mail that I figured he'd reject. I got a
phonecall about 2 hours after I sent out the e-mail saying that
the offer was acceptable. We arranged shipping (this is a 56"
datacenter cabinet) and had to go freight.

I finally got it two days ago. 35 4GB disks in five different
drive trays-- UW/differential SCSI across the board. Not a bad
little cabinet and not a bad price. While I was waiting for it
I had plenty of time to wire up the 240v power I needed and get
the UW/differential SCSI controller for my Ultra1/170E.

The thing looks like someone went at it with a sledge hammer.
When it was unloaded from the truck the pallet it was shipped
on was somehow crushed. Never a good sign.

The array is dented all over, etc, etc. I had it working for
about a day. 10 disks on it are BAD. Just to replace those
disks it would cost me more than what I paid for the array.

The array died because I killed it :) I flashed it with the
wrong firmware-- actually not the *wrong* firmware, but the
right firmware in the wrong order. I gave it the version 3.x
application firmware without the corresponding bootware. I
can see the array via probe-scsi but the OS can't see it.

I know how to get it fixed, too-- I need to take one of the
dual controllers out, flash that with matching firmware, then
reflash my second controller from that one.

I doubt any of you has a spare RSM2000/A3000 or A3500 at home
I could use for this? Is there another way to solve my problem?
How?

-Jon
--
Jonathan Katz
e-mail: jon at jonworld.com
website: http://jonworld.com
proprietor: http://bachelor-cooking.com
Cell: 317-698-4023 * Pager: 800-759-8888 1770869 * FAX: 530-688-5347