[SunRescue] Sparcengine

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 28 20:04:54 CST 2000

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Andre F. de Miranda wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but are the SparcEngine
> PCI good options to the Ultra 2/5/10 systems? If yes, where in the hell
> could I find this boards for a reasonable price?

Depend on which board you're referring to.  There are 3 in common use:

SparcEngine AX
  4 PCI slots, takes an Ultra-1/2 style CPU module.  ATX form-factor.
  Onboard IDE but no SCSI I believe.  Up to 1GB RAM.

SparcEngine AXmp
  10 PCI slots but 4 are obscured by the CPU carrier board.  Takes
  Ultra-1/2 style CPU modules, up to 4 of them.  Not ATX form-factor,
  requires special cases.  Dual onboard UW SCSI.  Up to 4GB RAM.

SparcEngine AXi
  6 PCI slots (2 busses).  Takes Ultra 5/10 style CPU modules.  ATX
  form-factor.  Dual onboard UW SCSI.  UPA64S slot for Creator/Elite
  framebuffers.  Up to 1GB RAM.

If you're looking for a good uniprocessor UltraSparc, the AXi is it.  The
AX was produced in smaller numbers and with slower CPU's, and the AXmp is
quite expensive and requires a special case and powersupply.

There are others including CompactPCI boards but I don't think those are
what you're interested in.

Are you looking for complete systems built around these boards or just the
boards?

-James