[SunRescue] I could run a small country...

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 23 15:12:10 CST 2000

On December 23, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I had no idea what a Unimog was.  Just did a Google search.
>
> Now . .
>
> Which one do you have

  1974 404S Radio Box...I don't have any good pics online yet, but a
pic of mine just before it left Germany can be found at
http://www.neurotica.com/unimog/my-404.jpg.

> where did you get it

  An importer in NJ named Bill Kratz.  He brings in a few per year of
various sorts.  The most common type is the 404S like mine, which
comes in either the radio box version (mine) or the "troop carrier,"
with a canvas top over the back supported by large hoops.

> and WHAT DO YOU DO WITH IT????

  Drive.  Anywhere.  Over ANYTHING. :)

  Seriously, though, I'm about midway through construction of a set of
computers for the box on the back.  The box is very well insulated and
has decent furniture.  A CDPD internet link, some radio gear, DC and
AC power systems, and computers to handle my telescope are in the
works.

  I intend it to be a sort of "mobile observatory" so I can pack up a
box lunch (or some MREs) and drive out somewhere where the sky is dark
(it isn't here; I'm between DC and Baltimore), set up the "light
bucket", and do CCD imaging from the warmth (or "coolth") of the
truck.

> Nifty.

  Glad you like it.  Get one!  They're cool!  I love my Unimog!

         -Dave McGuire