[SunRescue] Sun4 VME Parts / Memory

Robert Rose rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 23 00:52:11 CST 2000

>Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 20:45:12 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Dave Reader <dave at undone.org.uk>
>Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Sun4 VME Parts / Memory

>>> And finally, can anyone point me to a reference for the 4/330 boot rom? -
>yeah.. i know those. what i need to know it how to change its default
>details, and whetever else can be done.
I've got a paper copy of a chapter entitled "Sun-4 EEPROM Layout" from
some unknown manual as well as a "Sun 4300 CPU Board Installation
Manual".
>From the EEPROM Layout one, it includes setting for:
- vary the quantity of memory tested during self-test
- change the action that follows a watchdog reset
- boot from a specified device with diagnostics switch or NORM, or poll
the devices
- recognise the specified device as the primary terminal or console
- display the Sun banner or a custom banner during power-up
- store and display a custom logo upon power-up
- select special keyboard characters
- turn the keyboard "click" on or off
- inhibit serial port DTR and RTS signals
- select a serial port baud rate
- store a system configuration record on EEPROM
- erase EEPROM contents
- Monitor screen size
- System configuration and board configuration
What do you need to know?

>the biggest problem I have at the moment is that on both cpus, i get
>nothing from it in "normal" mode - and the diag lights show a pattern
>which is not in the FEH i've found: X..XXX.. where an 'X' is lit.
This pattern doesn't appear in my CPU Installation manual either,
although it does direct you to read the "PROM User's Manual" that comes
with the software release you received with your system.  Perhaps this
is the manual that I have one chapter from as mentioned above.

>but i found that the rom monitor isnt
>as friendly as those ive used before.
No, but it's a great way to frighten newbie Sun sysadmins.

>> Make sure you have no frame buffer or keyboard installed to force it
>> to use ttya as console port.  You might also try setting 0x1f to 0x10
>> to force ttya.
>okay, how? i'm not very familiar with the old rom monitor, and i dont
>really want to have to dig the 4/260 out (its rather awkward) to ask it
>(since it does respond to '?' or 'help' or something like that..)

Type the following at the > prompt:

q 1F

It will now prompt you for the new value, enter the following:

0x10 .

And that should be it.

If I can ever get my ScanJetIIp working, I'll get around to scanning
this stuff in.  The scanner looks fine, but plugging it in to my PC
renders the PC unbootable.

Rob.