[SunRescue] Re: Openboot disc spin-up

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 22 12:41:04 CST 2000

>>Oops! Wrong subject line in my last email - apologies!

That's OK.  The season seems to make us all goofy one way or another. ;-)

>>On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:57:05 -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:
>>
>>> IIRC the only times that I've done this a probe-scsi from the OK> prompt
>>> usually caused them to start spinning up. YMMV though.
>>
>>I don't think I get that response from my SS10 - probe-scsi doesn't
>>spin the discs up. Perhaps other OpenBoot versions have different
>>behaviour?

They might.  Like I said YMMV.

>>> There _might_ be a patch for this on Sunsolve.  If you can't get the
patch
>>> directly please let me know and I'll download a patch for you and mail
it to
>>> you off list.
>>
>>I've had a look and not found anything that appears to relate to the cpr
>>module. Do you have a patch number that would suit?

You're running Solaris right?  Download patchdiag and the most current
patchdiag.xref file and install those on the system.  Run "patchdiag | lp -d
blah" - blah being your print queue - and see what isn't up to date.  I've
found that I have to patch the 2.6 and Solaris 7 systems at work about once
every month or so even though the patchdiag.xref file changes about once
every two weeks.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Happy Yule!

Mike Hebel