[SunRescue] [newbie] Which floppy drive on Classic ?

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 15 15:11:11 CST 2000

>>>I know from experience that a PC floppy won't work easily - I think you
can
>>>get it to work with modification but that's a different story.
>>
>>I'd like to ear this story.

Basically I tried plugging it in and it didn't work.  I tried switching to a
PC style floppy cable but that didn't work either.  I suspect it has
something to do with the ID jumpers, (really tiny things usually), on the
back of the floppy drive.  Don't mess with these if you can avoid it.  I
didn't - I just went out and bought another IPX with a good floppy. ;-)

>>>Let us know what problems, if any, you encounter.  I'm sure someone here
can
>>>walk you through this.
>>
>>Well... It's a shame but the SCSI cable is hard to find here !

The SCSI cable is available from _lots_ of places on-line.  You could
probably find one from E-Bay.  Here:

http://www.sunhelp.org/pages.php?page=info-vendors

is a good place to start.
It all depends on what kind of cable you need.  Read the SunRescue archives
here:

http://www.sunhelp.org/pages.php?page=info-lists-local

to find out a little more about that.  (We just went through some of that
earlier this year.  It comes up regularly.)

If you can't connect the CD-Rom to the IPX then you're probably going to
have to have another machine handy running TFTP to net-boot from.  I can't
help you there as I've never done it.

Start with the above links and then decide how you want to go about this.
My suggestion is the SCSI cable and the SCSI Cd-Rom.  It will save you some
trouble and is, from what I hear, easier for new users.

Hope this helps!

Mike Hebel