[SunRescue] PPTP / VPN stuff

John Lengeling rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 15 09:59:10 CST 2000

> If I can do this with *BSD or Linux somehow, I've got a fairly decent
> machine (P166MMX) that I can build up for the task.  Otherwise, I
> can ask for a semi-small machine and get it.

For IPSec VPNs, there is a direct correlation between the CPU speed and
the throughput of the IPSec tunnel.  I heard that an industry standard
rule is that you will need ~100MIPS to get 10Mbps thoughput using 3DES.

I don't think a P166 will be fast enough.

> I need to do this as *cheaply* as possible...

I have setup a PPTP server under FreeBSD using the mpe/netgraph.  It
worked nicely and was pretty easy to setup.  Downside is the security
problems of PPTP.

I tried to setup an IPSec VPN server under FreeBSD, but I wasn't too
successful.  Although I didn't know much of what I was doing.  I am
going to try using OpenBSD which most everyone recommends and they also
have VPN accellerator support if you need the throughput.

For the client side, PGPnet has an IPSec client and there are
configuration examples available for OpenBSD and their client.

johnl