[SunRescue] keyboard for sparc classic

Sheldon T. Hall rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 13 07:31:01 CST 2000

On Wednesday, December 13, 2000 5:50 AM, Bruno Perea
[SMTP:bruno.perea at laposte.net] wrote:
> I'm about to receive an old Sparc Classic but with no keyboard.
> Can I use any other type of kbd or do I must use a Sun kbd ?

You can't use a PC keyboard unless you get an adapter that costs rather more
than the Classic is worth.

You can use a fairly high-end PC monitor if you  get an adapter for that.

Fortunately, both Sun keyboards and monitors are pretty cheap, and widely
available.  Shipping on the monitors is expensive, though.  Any of the Sun
keyboards and mice you're likely to find will be OK (i.e. type 4, 5, 5c, or
6), and I think any of the color monitors will be, too, but I'm less sure of
that.  If you get an optical mouse, be sure to get the right mousemat with
it.

Although I have a Sun keyboard/mouse/monitor setup, I almost never use it.
 Once the machine is set up, you can just telnet in for ordinary use, i.e.
anything but fooling with the boot PROM setup.  Even the boot PROM stuff is
available over the serial port, if there's not Sun keyboard connected.

-Shel