[SunRescue] keyboard for sparc classic

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 13 06:47:48 CST 2000

You should check out the sun hardware reference FAQ at sunhelp.org to answer
specific questions, but you will either need a serial terminal, sun
keyboard/mouse, or a PC acting as a terminal to access the Classic you are
about to get. Once configured, you can run it "headless" and access over a
network connection.

Serial terminals are between $0 and $20, depending on various issues.

Keyboard/mouse/mouse pad combinations tend to sell for $20-50, but would
allow you to use the onboard framebuffer (video card) with a Sun monitor.

A PC as a console is fine, but if the PC shutsdown the connection, the
Classic will hang.

My advice would be to go out and get yourself a sun keyboard/mouse/pad set,
and try and find a Sun 16"+ monitor (should be well under $100 for a 16"
monitor). You can use a PC monitor, but that will require an adapter that
costs about $25-50, depending on the source.

Numerous options exist, I am only pointing out the most common ones...

HTH,

Ken