[SunRescue] E150 question

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 9 23:09:54 CST 2000

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I know the E150 is basically a U1/170E in sheeps clothing; anybody

The E150 is not based on a U1/170E.

The E150 was shipped with an Ultra 1/170 (no E!) motherboard and SunSwift
card with a cable to connect the SunSwift to the internal disk cage.  Why
Sun did this instead of just shipping a 1/170E I have no idea.

> know if the motherboard is the same?  I've got a U1 here that I'd
> *love* to have in the "deskside tower" enclosure of a E150, but
> dunno if the board would go in the enclosure, if I could find one..

You should be able to place any Ultra 1 motherboard into an E150 chassis.
That said, I feel that the E150 is one of the worst-designed cases Sun
ever shipped (ever try to swap the boot drive in a hurry?) and I can't
think of a single reason why I'd want to convert one (since the E150
chassis disk cage can be used from another system).

The E4x0 and E2x0 are works of art compared with the E150.

-James