[SunRescue] Quad Port Redundent Internet

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 9 03:40:35 CST 2000

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 01:18:26AM -0800, Eric Ozrelic wrote:
> Hey, I have both DSL, and broadband cable at my house. I wanted to setup
> some sort of redundent internet setup, so that if one of them goes down,
> then
> the other one will pick it up asap, without having to swap cables, or change
> addresses.
> I have a few ideas. I have a Osicom Quad port 10/100 ethernet card, that
> supposedly can be used in an Ultra, and it supposedly has drivers for
> Solaris.
> Has anyone every heard of or messed with this card?
> I wanted to connect the cable, and dsl to the quad card in my Ultra. Then
> using a script, ping an internet IP every 10 seconds or so on each port. If
> a port goes out, and the IP can no longer be pinged, it will rollover to the
> next available port that is pingable.
> I would use NAT on this machine, so all my workstations would just use the
> IP
> of my Ultra/NAT box for there gateway, and port changes would be
> transparent.
> Anyone have any ideas or know of any sites that go over this sort of thing?
> don't believe something like this would be too difficult. I'm just not very
> good
> at scripting/programming in Unix, so this will be an exciting new learning
> experience.
> Thanks in advance,
> Regards,
> Eric Ozrelic

Static routes with different metrics.  Have your primary interface have
a metric of 1, the second a metric of 2... when the primary goes down,
it will automatically send traffic out the 2nd interface.

At one time, I had both ADSL and IDSL coming into my house here (1.5meg/128K
ADSL from one ISP, and then 144K IDSL from the ISP I worked for).  I had
both connections plugged into my switch, and then two IP addresses assigned
(one from each connection) to my Ethernet interface.  I had static routing
setup so that traffic to work *only* used the IDSL, while everything else
(web browsing, etc) went through the ADSL. 8-)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford       |    "Do you expect me to talk?"
mrbill at mrbill.net   |    "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!"