[SunRescue] PPTP / VPN stuff

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 8 14:10:51 CST 2000

I've got a friend who needs to have a VPN solution setup.. so I'm
looking for suggestions of hardware/software with which to implement it.

Their office has a 6 meg dedicated ADSL connection, with a bunch of
Windows boxes using MS File and Printer Sharing in a workgroup configuration.
All the machines on the LAN are using DHCP, but can be easily moved to
static IPs if needed.

They need to be able to go home, hook up their laptops to their cable
modems, and use a VPN/PPTP client to connect back up to the network
at work and copy files back and forth using the MS windows networking
stuff, *without* having to resort to PC ANywhere.   Basically, they need
to be able to tunnel into the office LAN.

If I can do this with *BSD or Linux somehow, I've got a fairly decent
machine (P166MMX) that I can build up for the task.  Otherwise, I
can ask for a semi-small machine and get it.

I need to do this as *cheaply* as possible...

Suggestions?  I've really only messed with the Microsoft-specific stuff when
doing VPNs, and we *dont* want to have to go that way, due to expenses.

Thanks.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford