[SunRescue] NetBSD v. Linux v. Solaris 2.51

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 7 16:34:17 CST 2000

drone8of9 at crosswinds.net writes:

>>>(I also have a Wyse x-terminal sitting in storage because I
>>>don't have the server software for it to boot from...)

>I thought that since it was remote X that things like display are handled by
>the terminal not the server?  If that's the case then why do you need
>software to run the Wyse?

By "server software" I meant software running on the x-terminal.
x-terminals are just diskless workstations running X on the bare
metal, rather than a unix kernel. (Some of them have the software
in ROMs, most use bootp, tftp, etc to get it.)

The wyse X-terminals have to load the X server software from a
fileserver, but they *do* have telnet in ROM! So at worst it's
a text terminal that plugs into your LAN, which is kinda neat...

-------- david fischer -------- dave at cca.org -------- www.cca.org --------
---------- never let reason stand in the way of self-confidence ----------