[SunRescue] Ok...newbie question...

Jody Stephens rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 7 15:50:18 CST 2000

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Mike Hebel wrote:

> How do you get the number of files in a given directory?  I can get the
> total size, individual size, date, time, etc. but not how many files there
> are.  Does this show up anywhere easily?
ls -A /storage | wc -l would give you an approximation (still counting
directorys (if you have subdirs)). If need be you can either use gnu ls
ability to ignore based on a shell pattern or write a quick perl script.
You could also look at a ls -l of the dir.
drwx------   3 jodys    staff        4096 Jul 18 12:10 .xauth
             ^ minus two gives you number of links in that dir
(files/directorys).
(correct me if I'm wrong about the above)
Good luck.