[SunRescue] exploding sun psus

Christopher Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 7 14:44:24 CST 2000

Yep, I'm sure, it was a 5 farad cap, at least that's what the diagram said.
It was an early solid state system with a 500 watt continuous amplifier.

Serious audiophiles regularly install networks of capicitors with a total
rating of well over 10 farads, and single capacitors of up to 120 farads are
available on the open market. Also large scale power transformers use HUGE
capacitors (kilofarads) to regulate line levels.

I didn't know that it was a 5 farad until it blew up (literally the thing
exploded) and I looked at the circuit diagram from the guy who built it. It
was custom built for an open air church in Northern Arizona, and I happened
across it because I was an amateur radio operator, and some of my friends
were members of the church, who just happened to know I was into electronics
etc...

Anyway they said that it was having trouble and asked if I could look at it.
So the fired it up, and we went to the mike to have a test, my friend
talked, it crackled for a bit then BOOM, the damned thing toasts itself. I
can believe it was five Farad because the thing was so large(about the size
of a quaker oats cannister according to the circuit diagram).

Chris Byrne