[SunRescue] NetBSD v. Linux v. Solaris 2.51

Michael Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 6 17:03:54 CST 2000

Ok, before I don the asbestos gauntlets and possibly ignite a
pet OS holy war, I would like to thank everyone for not roasting me
alive on the "LEDs" which turned out to be fuses.

<GAUNTLETS><ASBESTOS>
Once I have finally managed to get my SS1+ working, I'll need an
OS. I have heard that NetBSD is faster than Linux on the Sun4c
architecture due to how they handle memory, but of course,
a great deal more software is available for Linux, and  much of
the software I want to use would have to run under Linux emulation.
My guess is that Linux would be faster than NetBSD emulating
Linux.  Does anyone want to back that up?

Also, how would Solaris 2.51 (the only version I have for SPARC)
compare, performance-wise?
</ASBESTOS></GAUNTLETS>

Last question:
Here's my hardware: SS1+ (going to work, not going to get a choice.)
cg6 "GX" frame buffer, 64 mbs ram, 2x 500mb SCSI disks, Plextor
4x cd-rom,  and on-board 10Base5 Ethernet.  I know I can't expect
thrilling speed from this machine, no matter how cool they were
back when I was in junior-high (I'm in my 3rd year of college, now.)

To the point: I often hear "run your X server on another machine."
Can that other machine be x86 based? If it is x86 based, will
setting it up be non-trivial?  Assuming I do set it up that way
would it be a heretical, blasphemous, evil thing, possibly
a >bad< thing?
Thanks.