[SunRescue] Oracle Linking (Was Re: compiler problems)

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 6 14:49:45 CST 2000

Nick asked:
:Why?

[ ... in relation to why Oracle gets re-linked on an install ... ]

(I happen to be working at a client site where there are "Oracle
Consulting" personnel on-site, so I got to tap their expertise--
otherwise I'd have no idea about this...)

It relinks on-install because there are different OS-dependancies
for threading, etc, with different versions of the OS. This means
that a single Oracle 8i CD can be used to install Oracle on any
rev of Solaris. Please note that when you run the install /usr/ccs/bin
should be in your path ahead of /usr/local/bin so that the Solaris
ld gets called instead of the GNU ld (if you have that installed) as
linking Oracle against the GNU libs is a "bad thing"(tm) and generally
don't work.

Lots (if not all) of the Oracle apps (svrmgrl, sqlplus, tnslistner,
etc) get re-linked.

-Jon
--
Jonathan Katz
e-mail: jon at jonworld.com
website: http://jonworld.com
proprietor: http://bachelor-cooking.com
Cell: 317-698-4023 * Pager: 800-759-8888 1770869 * FAX: 530-688-5347