[SunRescue] Killing Processes [Was: Rescue digest, Vol 1 #776 - 13 msgs]

Ed Pate rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 6 13:48:48 CST 2000

--------------F4654C9C936D5D5AEB5866E9

Here I go again...

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 9
> From: "Mike Hebel" <drone8of9 at crosswinds.net>
> To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: RE: [SunRescue] Killing Processes [Was: Rescue digest, Vol 1 #773 - 16 msgs]
> Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:38:37 -0600
>
> Actually no flames are necessary from me.  You've just explained to me why I
> can't remove a passal of Zombie processes from our server here at work.  Now
> I just have to find out what's not responding that keeps the Zombies from
> shutting down.  Thanks!
>
> Mike Hebel

Actually zombies (processes marked "<defunct>") are only entries in the process table.  They have
completely exited and all resources (except the process table entry) have been released.  They are only
waiting on one thing, the parent process to read their return code.  Once the parent process reads that
status OR it exits, its zombies will be cleared up.

Looks like you have some deadbeat process spawning child processes and ignoring them.  Look at the
process table entry for the Parent Process ID (the third column of the `ps -ef` command's output) for
these processes.  That is your culprit process.

Ed

begin:vcard
n:Pate;Ed
tel;fax:904-359-3904
tel;work:904-359-2401
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:CSX Technology;MidTier Strategic
adr:;;550 Water St, J976;Jacksonville;FL;32202;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:Ed_Pate at CSX.com
title:Engineer - Technical Architecture
fn:Ed Pate