[SunRescue] Re: Excuse my gross oversimplification.

Robert Rose rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 4 04:47:07 CST 2000

Chris Byrne wrote:

>I'm looking to upgrade the storage, and rather than waste cash on going
>to a bigger Ultra ATA drive, and an external only SCSI solution, I'd
>like to just switch to all SCSI inside and out.
Do it!  I made the exclusive SCSI decision about 3 years ago and haven't
looked back since.
I must admit, it's cost me more in just the disk prices, but I've got 7
Suns, a token Indy and 4 x86 boxes that I can move disks about with
(almost) no hassles.  Same goes for CD-Roms, tape drives, CDR, DVD-ROM,
etc. all SCSI, no major problems.  Last time I purchased an IDE disk was
when 170Mb was the largest available, and I've never thrown away a SCSI
disk unless it's broken, unlike my earlier IDE disks that I tossed when
I simply couldn't plug them in.

Around here there's a stack of larger capacity (4 - 9Gb) SCA SCSI disks
just appearing in servers that have reached their EOSL and are going for
(semi-)reasonable prices.  I picked up 2 HP LDPro boxen each with a 2Gb
and a 9Gb IBM disk less than 2 years old that had obviously replaced
under warranty before being decomissioned.  The 2's went straight into
the Sparc5 and the 9's are going to join the other 3 x 9's I've acquired
recently on a FreeBSD PC running RAID5 (Smart-2/P controller).  All I
need now is a DLT4k to back it all up!

Rob.

PS. I'm dreading the scene in a few years time when these new fangled
USB devices, FC-AL disks and FireWire kill SCSI.  Maybe I'll go live
under a rock and fix old pinball machines for a living, 'cos I'll
probably be considered a dinosaur by the time I'm 30.  If I do, I'm
taking you all down with me, at least I'll have some friends to talk to!