HBA's was Re: [SunRescue] Excuse my gross oversimplification of RAID

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 4 03:57:51 CST 2000

James Lockwood wrote:

> Minimally configured U30's are showing up on Ebay for under $1k.  As the
> UltraSparc-III line rolls in I expect to see price drops across the board
> on used equipment.

I can't wait to see it. Of course the UltraSparc-III's arent exactly
very available either. I called up my Sun rep a few weeks ago to ask for
a quote, and he said he couldnt even quote me a price on them until
mid-December, and at that my shipment would be delayed until march.

What would be really nice is if the new systems really widely propagate
Fiber Channel. That would make for a nice price drop to the point where
mere humans could start seeing FC-AL in their workstations, and I'm all
for that. I'm not one of those fiber fanatics who think that fiber is
the greatest thing in all of history, the cure for what ails ya and what
not, but it'd certainly be nice not to have to worry about having too
long a cable run just to get across my desk, or all of the termination
woes of standard paralell copper SCSI

--
Chris Byrne