HBA's was Re: [SunRescue] Excuse my gross oversimplification of RAID

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 4 00:49:50 CST 2000

James Lockwood wrote:

> The high performance 64-bit PCI FC-AL adapter Sun ships is an off the
> shelf QLogic QLA2100F/2200F.  If you don't mind the lack of a Sun logo,
> you can easily save several thousand dollars on the adapter:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=512566937
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=513252413
>
> I'd love to upgrade to FC myself, but with over 250GB of SCSI storage in
> my garage I don't think it will happen any time soon.  I have a love/hate
> relationship with my Seagate Elite-9's, they suck space and power but seem
> to be indestructable.
>
> I'm glad Sun is now shipping FC for the desktop, hopefully this will drop
> prices across the board.
>
> -James

James, excellent tip on the auctions there. I'd love to go to FC-AL
myself, though I've had better experience with JNI than QLogic.

Anyone know of a place where I can get a PCI FC-HBA with internal and
external connectors (preferably GBIC based), that supports intelligent
RAID features and costs less than the down payment on a new car?

Actually while we're on the subject, I'm looking for a PCI RAID U160
SCSI HBA, with internal and external connectors, at a reasonable cost
for my U10.

I'm looking to upgrade the storage, and rather than waste cash on going
to a bigger Ultra ATA drive, and an external only SCSI solution, I'd
like to just switch to all SCSI inside and out.

--
Chris Byrne