[SunRescue] ARGH!

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 3 20:29:32 CST 2000

Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> I am trying to get my Ultra (Sol 8) to resolve names and it just doesn't
> work. I am pinging outside my gateway. I have created both /etc/resolve.conf
> and /etc/defaultrouter files and have modified the nsswitch filles line
> files to dns
>
> What am I missing?

Mike,

Heres a checklist

1. Is your default route correct (you may be able to ping outside your
gateway even with a bad route). eck it using netstat -rn. ere should be
a line in it that looks something like this

default              216.101.238.1         UG       1     80

2. Can you ping your name servers, if not, traceroute and see where it
fails
3. Can you connect to your nameservers using nslookup
if all of those are correct check the format of your nsswitch.conf file.
Make sure that the hosts line looks like this

hosts: files dns

4. make sure that your resolv.conf looks similar to this

domain chrisbyrne.com
nameserver 206.13.28.11
nameserver 206.13.29.11
search chrisbyrne.com velocityhsi.com

note, the domains line may not be necessary depending on your version,
but putting it in doesnt hurt.

5. Make sure that your permissions on nsswitch and resolv.conf allow
group and other read priveliges

Once you've checked all of thse things try and connect to your
nameservers again using nslookup. if you can then try and connect to
something using it's name. if it doesnt work you may have other issues.

Good Luck

Chris Byrne