[SunRescue] Excuse my gross oversimplification of RAID

Paul Theodoropoulos rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 3 12:40:17 CST 2000

At 02:28 PM 12/2/00, you wrote:
>I do take issue with the exception Paul Theodoros made for my Raid
>5
>explanation in calling it striping with rotated parity. While this
>is true,
>it is not generally referred to explicitly as having rotated
>parity. RAID 5
>could also, and possibly more accurately referred to as having
>distributed
>parity, because the decision of where to put the parity chunk is
>up to the
>vendors implementation, and it is not necessarily always rotated,
>it may be
>distributed across an array to optimize access patterns if an
>intelligent
>RAID controller is being used.

good points. my choice of 'rotated' was poor - 'distributed' is
clearly the more descriptive term, and is the specific quality that
differentiates RAID 5 from the other parity-based redundancy
schemes, which rely upon dedicated ('non-distributed') parity
drives.

An additional observation, the issue of 'hot spares' is not even
touched upon in the RAID specification, however it's use is
probably one of the most significant steps one can take in assuring
the safety of one's data in a RAID scheme. In any redundancy
scheme, one or more hot-spares can increase the reliability and
decrease the MTTF by an order of magnitude. Most
reasonably-intelligent controllers can rebuild data from a failed
disk onto a hot-spare in a matter of a few hours (highly dependent
upon current load on other disks of course). if a disk fails in the
middle of the night when nobody is around, it's fabulous to be able
to turn off the beeping pager, sound in the knowledge that you can
swap out the bad disk in the morning - at your leisure, rather than
rushing in a panic to the data center to swap it out ASAP, for fear
that another disk may die in that window.

hmm, does it sound like i'm speaking from experience? ;^)

Paul Theodoropoulos   paul at atgi.net
Senior Unix Systems Administrator
Advanced Telcom Group, Inc.
Santa Rosa, California