[SunRescue] IPX max memory

Martin Frost rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 1 10:29:17 CST 2000

Mike Turner wrote:

>         1. What is the max memory an IPX can handle? 8 megs is the most I
> can get it to see. even with 16 megs in. Or is it that it can only see 4
> megs a SIMM slot?

The IPX can't take 8Mb SIMMs. Only 4Mb or 16Mb. If you've put two 8s
in, then they will probably appear as 4s.

>         2. error "Power-on SelfTest FAILED ... Replace CPU board" Is
> this as bad of an error message as it sounds?

I haven't seen this one on an IPX, but many Suns will print this
sort of message if there is no memory, or memory in the wrong slots.
(For example, an LX with no RAM claims that the CPU floating-point
unit is faulty!)

--m