[SunRescue] Best Value Sun for $1000?

BrianMcCloskeycheckinmystyle at hotmail.com BrianMcCloskeycheckinmystyle at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 30 10:28:33 CDT 2000

there is no problem with the serial ports on the ultra 1's or any recent sun
machines that i know of. however do not pay $1000 for an ultra 1. that is
way too much. i bought an ultra 1 170e with creator 3d graphics and 256mb
ram for $500 2 years ago (which was a phenomenal deal then, but about right
for a purchase now). for $1000 i would be looking to try and get a lightly
configure ultra 2. these are infinitely better machines, sport 1-2
ultraSPARC II processors (the ultra 1's and ultra 150's use an ultraSPARC
processor which had a not terribly serious bug regarding execution of 64 bit
code, and the processors were soldered onboard and not upgradeable).

the ultra 5 is not a bad machine, but again the processor is not upgradeable
and they are ide based by default, which also isn't horrible but doesn't
allow for easy hookup of peripherals unless you add a pci scsi card. there
is a very well supported symbios pci scsi card out there, but i think its a
bit hard to find these days (worth tracking down though since it should be
under $100 and sun's card is around $500 i think). speaking from my personal
experience the sunpci card is not going to be what you want. its not too
useful under any circumstances really, but for playing games its going to
really suck. get a better ultraSPARC processor and run realPC when you need
to. also the ultra 5 cannot handle anything better than the pci 32 bit
raptor graphics framebuffer (sucks for 3d) and this isn't even the standard
card. it will come with the 10/100baseT/rs232/24 bit framebuffer pci card by
default. some of the ultra 1's and the ultra 2's have upa sockets for
creator 3d graphics and the ultra 2's can handle elite 3d as far as i know.

however, it is true that prices are only going to come down on this hardware
so i would be very careful not to let anyone pressure you into buying
impulsively. good luck. whatever you get should be a huge jump up from the
ipx, just don't pay more than you should.

-wu