[SunRescue] axil 220 and hello n stuff

KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net
Mon Aug 28 12:30:38 CDT 2000

I had one of these myself, upgraded it to an Axil 245 with a low-cost MB
swap that I came across. These are like "odd-ball" SS5 work-alikes...

The memory system can take 4, 8, 16 or 32 Meg SIMMs (72 pin parity)

As you know, they have two "stacked" sbus slots, so no dual-wide cards are
usable.

They have a nice clean design, plenty of room inside (IMHO), and make decent
little
workstations.

The 220 has a CG3 framebuffer (IIRC), could be a CG6, but not sure - my 245
upgrade
got me a TGX+ 4 Meg framebuffer (still 256 color though), but capable of
faster speeds
through dpuble-buffering.

These were popular in sites where the computers were secondary to the
software they
ran - i.e. in an archeticture firm for CAD programs, they would choose Axil
for the lower
unit cost and 100% compatibility.

My 245 upgrade also took me up to an 85 Mhz clock speed - these unit will
tend to be a
bit slower than a similar-spec'd SS5, due to certain design issues (slower
RAM speed, for
example), but the difference may not be noticible for your own use - it is,
at least a technically
slower machine.

HTH,

Ken