[Sunrescue] 240V wiring

JamesLockwoodjames at foonly.com JamesLockwoodjames at foonly.com
Sun Aug 27 14:19:29 CDT 2000

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, David Cantrell wrote:

> Consider using plugs and sockets from different countries for different
> voltages, with whatever your local convention is for your local voltage.
> That's what I do - I use 'proper' plugs on my 220V circuits and weird
> US things on my 120V circuit.  I don't have any problems sourcing the
> parts, and it means that no-one can physically plug ordinary stuff into
> the wierdo circuit.

I've thought about this, but there is a US standard in place for 220-240V.
NEMA 6-15R outlets are in regular use where 240 is required (machine
shops, most frequently).  The plug looks like:
       _____
      /     \
     | -- -- |
     |   o   |
      \_____/

Basically, the same as the traditional US 120V plug but with the contact
blades horizontal instead of vertical.  240 in the US is usually
"double-hot" with the neutral at 120V relative to each.

I can get 6-15 plugs and outlets at any hardware store, but it gets kind
of expensive to assemble every power cord with nice removable plugs.  I'm
hoping to find a source for regular (molded plastic) all in one cords, and
a power strip would be nice.

What do the /x90 boxes and the SC2000 do for power distribution
internally? I can't even remember anymore, but I bet it's what I want.

-James