Cheap mainframe or mini's? WAS RE: Re: [SunRescue] OT: AS/400 help

DaveMcGuiremcguire at neurotica.com DaveMcGuiremcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Aug 25 14:45:45 CDT 2000

On August 25, pkhoury2 at loop.com wrote:
> Since this AS/400 seems like it'll be a PITA, anyone have any
> suggestions on a cheap mainframe/mini?  I'd like something 400lbs
> or less, if I can fit it in my car,
> that's a plus.  Like a VAX, newer PDP, older RS/6000, SPARCstation
> 6xxMP, IBM System/36 or whatever.  I'm in Southern California
> also - I look on eBay, but can't find anything there...

  Later-model VAXen (4000/300 or 4000/400 for example) are nice,
quiet, pull very little power (compared to other minis), and are
quite fast (also compared to other minis).  And they're every bit as
cool as their big-iron brothers.  NetBSD/vax is a good OS on those
machines, as is VMS, of course.

       -Dave McGuire