[SunRescue] OT: AS/400 help

Mark Davies MarkUK at uunix.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 25 14:28:42 CDT 2000

pkhoury2 at loop.com wrote:

> Okay, I know this is OT, but I thought someone on this list knows
> something about this.  I went to a local electronics store after
> work yesterday, and they had cheap stuff in the back.  I asked
> how much the AS/400 was (they didn't know what it was), and I
> got it for 5 bucks.  Appears to be a 9402-200.  I'd like to get
> it up and running, along with my SPARCs (if I can get OS/400
> cheap).  Has no HDs, only a 2GB QIC tape drive.  If anyone can
> help, please email me (offlist or to packrats).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Hi.

5 Bucks has bought you a very good boat anchor.

The Machine is a CISC as opposed to the latter RISC type, so your
maximum OS is V3R2.
You can get the OS of IBM for about $8,000.
You may be lucky enough to find someone who is willing to let you have a
version, but I'm afraid that's very slim.
Did you get any Twinax Display stations or 5250 emulation PC cards?
Did you get the  System Key?
Did you get the system Password?

Sorry to be so negative, but the AS/400 crowd are not to helpful to
hobbyist, which is why if you get a system, make sure ut runs OK.

I'd save your time and money and junk it now.

I'm over in the UK and was lucky enough to be given a working machine
with cables, Displays and cards. I rally turn it on though.

Hope this helps.

Mark