[SunRescue] Another query

John Honniball John.Honniball at uwe.ac.uk
Tue Aug 22 06:07:43 CDT 2000

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 14:42:26 -0400 (EDT) Kurt Mosiejczuk
<kurt at csh.rit.edu> wrote:
> Okay,  Now I've got this MASSIVE piece of equipment labelled
> with a sun logo and the ever-helpful tag "Mass Storage".

I had one of those.  It's the size of a 12-slot VME rack,
but full of disks/tapes, yes?

> It's
> got what looks like 6 SCSI connectors on the back, and a fold
> down front reveals a tape drive.

The one I had was used for SMD disks, so even if the tape
drive's SCSI, the disks may not be.  There should also be a
very thick copper earthing braid between this rack and the
main CPU rack.

> I realize this probably is
> packed with a bunch of drives, but how the heck do I get it
> open to find out what is in there?

>From the back.  Take off all the little panels by
unscrewing the fixing screws.  There's a power supply,
wiring loom and fan tray in there.  Well worth (as said by
another list-member) sliding out the fan tray and cleaning
it up.

--
John Honniball
Email: John.Honniball at uwe.ac.uk