[SunRescue] SPARC Station 2: Network Interface Problems

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Mon Aug 21 07:54:52 CDT 2000

ee cue wrote:

> I plugged that into my LAN and it seems to work fine with my rarpd and
> tftpd servers on startup using "boot net".  When I boot like this it
> recognizes the le0 device, but when I try and boot normally, the device
> does not seem to be configured and I con not see it in   ifconfig -a
> what am I doing wrong here?

If you boot from network, the interface parameters are set up by RARP.
If you boot from disk, you have to specify them yourself.

Assuming that you're running Solaris:

Put the hostname of the machine in the file `/etc/hostname.le0'.
You will also need to make sure that it's listed in `/etc/hosts'
and possibly that its netmask is listed in `/etc/netmasks'.

Once you've got that working, set up the default router: put its
address into `/etc/defaultrouter'.

Hope this helps.

--m