[SunRescue] OT: SGI help.

TimHarrisonharrison at timharrison.com TimHarrisonharrison at timharrison.com
Sat Aug 19 20:56:15 CDT 2000

Bill Bradford wrote:

> No problem, lots of us here have SGI experience too (I adminned them for
> a year and a half).. Go ahead and let us know here what the problem is...

<getting out the leather couch>

I have this problem, Doc... :)

The one response I got back on the sgihelp mailing list suggested that
install IRIX 6.5.x.  Unfortunately, I only have a copy of 5.3, and when
I attempted to at least get it to start the installation, it just locked
once it was done copying the installation files.  I don't know if that's
a function of it being 5.3 for R4400 or because of this PROM issue.
Hopefully you guys might be able to shed some light on it.

[message sent to oldies at sgihelp.org]

I have an R5k 180Mhz Indy with 64M RAM, 2G drive, and 24-bit graphics
here, but it seems to have an issue with the PROM.  I was hoping someone
could confirm this, and possibly point me in the right direction.

Relevant information:

>> version
PROM Monitor SGI Version 5.3 Rev B10 R4X00/R5000 IP24 Feb 12, 1996 (BE)
>>hinv
System: IP22
Processor: 180Mhz R5000, with FPU
Primary I-cache size: 32 Kbytes
Primary D-cache size: 32 Kbytes
Secondary cache size: 512 Kbytes
Memory size: 64 Mbytes
Graphics: Indy 24-bit
SCSI Disk: scsi(0)disk(1)
Audio: Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 4.1.0

When I run diagnostics, I get the following nasty error message:

Excption: <vector=Normal>
Status register: 0x30004803<CU1,CU0,IM7,IM4,IPL=???,MODE=kernel,EXL,IE>
Cause register: 0x8000c000<BD,CE=0,IP8,IP7,EXC=INT>
Exception PC: 0x885209bc, Exception RA: 0x885209c4
Interrupt exception
CPU Parity Error Interrupt
Local I/O interrupt register 1: 0x80 <VR/GIO2>
CPU parity error register: 0x80d<B0,B2,B3,SYSAD_PAR>
CPU parity error: address: 0x85209b0

NESTED EXCEPTION #1 at EPC: 9fc3e260; first exception at PC: 885209bc

... and the box locks.

After a bit of looking around, it seems this is a problem with the PROM
being "bad" (?).

Of all this, I have two questions.  First, why does the system show up
as IP22 with the hinv command, and IP24 under the version command, and
does anyone have a PROM to fix this issue?  It's a damned nice box, and
I'd love to actually use it. :)

--

Tim.
Geek.