[SunRescue] Sparc 2, Linux and ethernet

GregoryLeblancGLeblanc at cu-portland.edu GregoryLeblancGLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Aug 17 12:54:13 CDT 2000

So, if you need 64/66 PCI, what's the point in not getting a real switch?
It's gonna be bloody expensive to get a machine with 64/66 PCI, probably
enough so that it's cheaper to buy a 10/100 switch.

> This is enought for Lots (tm) of 100Mbits
> ports.  I have gotten in the mid to low 90Mbits/second going between a
> pair of PII's using 3C905's, so I don't doubt if you mucked
> with things
> and elimitated tcp ip and other overheads you could get VERY close to
> 100Mbits.  As a side note, most cisco routers and switches

I was talking about getting more than 100 megabytes/sec out of the PCI bus,
not about getting 100 megabits/sec out of the ethernet cards.  Close to that
is certainly possible with a decent proc.

> (C3524 as an
> example, a 24port 10/100, 2port 1000 switch) have pci.  It's
> not obvious,
> and you can't stick in pci cards, but the bus is still pci.

Doesn't look that way on my switches, but I'm using all 3com equipment.
>From the looks of ripping a SuperStack Switch II 3000/3300 and a couple of
Core Builders, they look bloody proprietary to me.  I haven't taken a real
good look at the mainboards, since those things are WAY too expensive to
have laying around.
	Greg