[SunRescue] [a little OT] Fibre channel q's...

BrianMcCloskeycheckinmystyle at hotmail.com BrianMcCloskeycheckinmystyle at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 09:49:53 CDT 2000

all fibre channel adapters do not work together. first generation fibre
channel just used the scsi protocol over the fiber optic medium (e.g. the
sparc storage arrays etc.). fc-al is fibre channel arbitrated loop and is a
completely different protocol, more akin to ethernet than scsi (although i
realize this is a bad example). this is what is used by the soc+ cards,
gbics (gigabit interface converter) and the a5x00 arrays (previously sena or
store edge network array). fc-al is much faster and more flexible than first
generation fibre and allows for multiple hosts to access the same arrays
either directly connected or through fibre hubs and switches. this is what
vendors are using as the basis for storage area networks.

it is my experience that while the older soc cards and other first
generation fibre channel stuff is getting cheaper, the newer fc-al devices
are still very expensive. jni makes an sbus and pci version of sun's soc+
fc-al host adapters that are approved by sun and less than 25% of the cost
of the sun adapters last time i checked. i have seen many more of our
clients using the jni j-cor cards than i have seen using sun's soc+. if you
are going to use the j-cor cards for failover though, i think there are some
specific entries that need to made in /etc/system.