[SunRescue] Look, SS20 RAM for $2/meg, plus a free SS20! SS5 RAM for even less... (also low-cost PCs)

MartinFrostmartin at dsres.com MartinFrostmartin at dsres.com
Fri Aug 11 17:34:14 CDT 2000

scohen - Stephen Cohen wrote:

> What are the commands needed to allow my PC to rexec into the IPX (the IPX
> is running Linux kernel 2.2.16-3).  This way I won't have to first telnet
> to it.  Exceed has a nice feature to automate this process, but the IPX
> won't allow this kind of login.

You probably just need to edit /etc/inetd.conf on the IPX and uncomment
the line to run in.rshd or in.rexecd or similar. They're often turned
off for security reasons.

It may be that they are already running, in which case simply add the
PC's IP address to ~/.rhosts or /etc/hosts.equiv file on the IPX and
you should be allowed in.

If that doesn't work, tcpwrappers may be getting in the way. Either
disable it altogether (not recommended unless you're behind a firewall),
or add the line:

	ALL : <pc ip address>

to the /etc/hosts.allow file.

Other things to check: .rhosts files must be owned by the use in question,
and must not be group- or world-writeable. Most implementations will
reject the login if either of these security checks fails.

Hope this helps.

--m