[SunRescue] compuadd ss1

KurtNowakknowak at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu KurtNowakknowak at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu
Thu Aug 10 00:13:37 CDT 2000

koyote wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I've been playing with a compuadd ss1 (sparc 1 clone) for a while. I've got
> debian potato running, but would like to put an older (2.x) solaris on it.

Ouch... that will be a painfully slow setup..plus its advisable to come up with
the full 64megs.

> I have a 2.6 cdrom, but I'm not sure if it is the right one, and if it is, it
> won't boot. I belive this is because none of my 5 old scsi cdroms are models
> used by Sun (or compuadd, i guess).

make sure the CD drive is in scsi ID6 or check http://saturn.tlug.org/suncdfaq/
for compatibility issues...

> Is there any way to install short of finding a 411?
>
> (specs, compuaddss1, 40 meg RAM, some lsilogic framebuffer, converted pc
> floppy, 650meg drive with a seriously hosed 4.2 install, 540meg drive (not
> conneted), 1 gig drive (not connected), various generic scsi cdroms, ehternet
> transceiver, 19" monitor)

If you REALLY want to get solaris on there, Id swap out the 650MB drive for the
1Gig you have...or use both 540 and 650 drives in the pizza box and juggle the
partions...40 megs might be ok..not sure. I tried with 16 megs many moons ago and
the thing choked during the setup.