[SunRescue] Installing SunOS 4.x on a Sun 3 box

PaulKhoury-TechSupportpkhoury2 at ritchie.loop.com PaulKhoury-TechSupportpkhoury2 at ritchie.loop.com
Wed Aug 9 20:49:58 CDT 2000

At 06:27 PM 08/09/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Paul Khoury - Tech Support wrote:
>
>> Is there any way I can install SunOS 4.x on a Sun3
>> without using a tape drive?  I thought about NetBSD,
>> which I used before, but I'd like to give SunOS a shot
>> for the heck of it.
>
>You can boot off of a CDROM as well if your PROM revision is high enough.
>Depends on which sun3.

Sun 3/60.  How do I check the PROM?  Read the top of the EPROM, or
throught the boot monitor?  If boot monitor, what is the command?

>> Or is netbooting/installing not possible?  What about the Sun 2/120?
>
>Netbooting is very possible.  Works great, though SunOS 4 netbooting is
>slightly less cookie-cutter than Solaris 2.

That's fine, NetBSD was pretty lengthy, but not too hard.

Paul