[SunRescue] dsl advice

KurtNowakknowak at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu KurtNowakknowak at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu
Wed Aug 9 17:05:18 CDT 2000

> I see that you have a Cal Poly SLO email address.  I've found Pacbell's
> DSL offering to be tolerable, $40/mo including line and ISP charges for a
> static IP and free h/w with signup is certainly at the cheap end of the
> spectrum.  Downside is that they only offer 128kbps uplink for the cheap
> plans.

Yes, im at CPSLO.. I looked at PacBell DSL but was weary after reading all
the "pac-hell" negative comments about their service on
http://www.dslreports.com. Of course a lot of those people dont know what
they heck they are talking about either...*grin*...Perhaps the service in SLO
its not so bad...
My friend has GTE DSL and doesnt seem to have any problems...but of course
she uses a regular windoze box...that sevice seems to be set up such that the
NIC is bound to the DSL modem...hence my original concerns.... at least that
is what i realized when i tried swapping NICs in her PC. Charter cable was
that way too with certain cable modems that they were using...But its odd
that my friend in san diego, who has roadrunner has no problems with bound
NICs....just plain DHCP connect...