[SunRescue] dsl advice

ed_mitchell at adc.comed_mitchell ed_mitchell at adc.comed_mitchell
Wed Aug 9 09:57:20 CDT 2000

One problem I had with my Pac Bell acct.(enhanced services ADSL, they gave
me 5 statics) was with the Alcatel box they sent the tech out with.  Worked
fine for a while, but then sometimes it would start to spew out it's
Ethernet ports' MAC address when it got an ARP request.  While seemingly
normal behavior, it simply stopped bridging and would not make routing
decisions.  Beforehand, it looks like it was handing out the far end
ethernet address of the DSLAM or something, which would make more sense in
a bridging environment.  If you go with Pac Bell, get either the Cayman
3220-H (btw, be sure to lock it down) or ask for one of the older Westell
bridges.

From: Kurt Nowak <knowak at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu> on 08/09/2000 03:35
      AM GMT

Please respond to rescue at sunhelp.org

To:   rescue at sunhelp.org
cc:    (bcc: Ed Mitchell/US/Centigram)
Subject:  [SunRescue] dsl advice

Hello all,

Im planning on getting DSL service installed in the near future, but Im
still deciding on what service/ISP to chose. I dont need anyting fancy
like SDSL...regular ADSL with a dynamic IP is ok.....Anyone have any
advice and or preferences? Im especially concerned with the ease of
implementing one of my Sparcs to run OpenBSD as a firewall/NAT to be the
internet gateway for my home lan. I notice many DSL services have it so
the DSL modem is bound to the MAC address of the network card... Is
there anything else i should be concerned with? Im looking at earthlink
right now because the seem to have a good reputation and are one of the
few providers in my area...anyone have any gripes with them? Id hate to
buy into a contract and then find out that i wont be able to work my
Sparcs into the picture!

Thanks for any help

Kurt

Rescue maillist  -  Rescue at sunhelp.org