[SunRescue] dsl advice

KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net
Wed Aug 9 06:06:55 CDT 2000

My local DSL provider uses PPoE, an unusual protocol that that "emulates"
dial-up over ethernet.

I have nothing but *praise* for my little linksys cable/DSL router - a four
port 10/100 switch with all the features most home users would want, for
about $160 from buy.com. They now offer a single port version (no switch)
for just over 100 from buy.com.

After my account was established with Bell Atlantic (required a PC to run
their set-up software), I was able to swap in my linksys cable/DSL router in
under 30 minutes, *including* re-flashing the software in the router!

The deciding factor for me was the 10/100 ports - I want to run 100 baseT at
home, and such a card for my SS5 would have cost *more* than the router. Now
my SS5 is hooked up to a 10 baseT string off the router.

Also, services like www.tzo.com and www.dyndns.org offer low-cost/free
dynamic DNS nameservices for folks connected to the internet with dynamic IP
addresses. You can run servers with such a service. My sparcbook is
accessible at n2vip.dyndns.org, and it is behind my linksys router.

HTH,

Ken