[SunRescue] CD's I just had drop in my lap...

KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net KenHansenn2vip at bellatlantic.net
Fri Aug 4 07:53:44 CDT 2000

See below...

Ken

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Hebel" <druaga at pmail.net>
To: "Rescue at Sunhelp. Org" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 5:18 PM
Subject: [SunRescue] CD's I just had drop in my lap...

> I just had a couple of CDs drop in my lap so that I could make "Archival
> Backup Copies" of them.  Could someone tell me what they are exactly and
> were they fit in the scheme of things?
>
> Solaris 1.2 (Sub-labeled: SunOS 4.1.3 and Open Windows Version 3 Sparc)

A nice, late-Rev. OS for older, less-capable systems (low memory, CPUs under
50 Mhz, etc.)

> Sun-4m Supplement (Sub-labeled: for Solaris 1.1 SMCC Version A Sparc)

Patches/driver updates for Solaris 1.1 on Sun4m boxes (sorry, not much help
here)

> Solaris 2.3 Sparc

Ugh - why? One of the earlier releases of Solaris - you *really* want a
later release of Solaris, like 2.5.1 or even 2.4 IMHO.

> Wabi 1.1 for Solaris 2 (Sparc x86)

Allows you to run Win3.1 under Solaris 2.5.1 (IIRC about the release
levels) - not bad, since it doesn't "translate" code to run Win3.1
software,it maps calls from the application to Solaris system calls, and
since the processor family is the same, no translation of byte-code needed.
Probably quite usable on todays 400+ Mhz PII systems - it was reasonable on
P166 systems with adequate memory (64+ Meg).

> SunPC Version 4.0.1 for Solaris 2

SunPC software is used (mainly) with the SunPC Accelerator cards to emulate
a "real" PC in Solaris SPARC environment - this software will translate
system calls *and* every instruction in the software from x86 to SPARC, and
will use the workstations I/O. If you have the optional SunPC hardware -
essentially a PC with (no memory) on an sbus card then the software will run
much faster, since it no longer needs to translate *every* instruction from
x86 to SPARC. Speeds for the hardware ranged from 486sx/25 Mhz up to the
"speed deamon" AMD 586/133 Mhz CPU (about as fast as a P/75 or P/90 system,
depending on application). I have heard thet you *might* be able to use some
upgrade CPUs built for slower 486 machines, but have no first-hand knowledge
of this.

HTH,

Ken