[SunRescue] OpenBSD and MAC address?

MartinFrostmartin at dsres.com MartinFrostmartin at dsres.com
Wed Aug 2 05:17:24 CDT 2000

Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Nobody on the OpenBSD list seems to be able to answer my OpenBSD question,
> so I thought I'd try here.  How can I set the MAC address on an ethernet
> card?  More importantly, how can I make it stay through reboots?  I need to
> have it changed for some testing of OpenBSD as a firewall, but I can't
> figure it out.  Thanks,

I don't know which machine and card you are using, but I found that
an le card in an IPC doesn't have its own MAC address: it simply takes
the address of the onboard ethernet (also le).

It may be that the only thing you can do is to change the ethernet
address in the NVRAM, rechecksum, and restart. Make sure you write
down all the original info so you can restore it!

--m