[SunRescue] "How many VAXen can you squeeze in a Volvo?"

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Fri Sep 17 02:42:14 CDT 1999

> Okay, this topic is quickly turning into some absurd variation of "How many
> people can you squeeze in a VW?"...
>
> So, what have other out there squeezed into their respective vehicles?

Well, in my computer club we've been all around our country collecting
all sorts of stuff.
I think one of the first times we went for a "tour", we headed 600
kilometers north of where we are, to a town called "Boden". We had some
VAX equipment waiting for us up there.
We were pretty sure of the size of that VAX equipment, but didn't
realize that the guy who told us the size of it didn't even know what a
VAX 11/730 was, for comparence. (This was a VAX 11/750)
Anyway, we got this Volvo 740 Combi, but no trailer along with that - we
simply didn't have the time!

We got there, in the freezing winter-cold, and looked into the garage
where all the stuff were.
Christ, it was not only ONE but TWO 11/750's there, along with TWO giant
tapedrives + some diskracks, some diskpacks and tapes...
We realized at the first minute that this was impossible. But, then
again, we thought we might try to fit the VAX 11/750 into the back of
the Volvo. So we did it. Ofcourse we needed to loose all the weels and
sides on the VAXen, but we had the machine! We also put two
RA60-diskdrives with packs on the rear passanger-seat plus filled up all
the unused space in the whole vehicle with tapes!

So, when we headed south again, we were 4 people (don't ask me WHY we
were FOUR people in that car!) along with an overloaded vehicle. We
counted almost 500-600 kg extra in that car, so we were a bit heavy on
those icey winter-roads.

Anyway, we got back to rnskldsvik and unloaded all the stuff there,
and the next weeks the story went widespread that "the crazy guys from
vik put a VAX 11/750 in a Volvo!"... and that's just one of the
stories, but by far the coolest one. :-)

	/Regards, Bjorn