[SunRescue] help with CPU ID

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Fri Sep 17 00:36:20 CDT 1999

ok, I'm not thinking too well.  It's gotta be something to do with being up
to about 55 hours so far this week....

[snip]

> Solaris 7 is quite fast (but heavyweight) for everything except SGML
> manpage formatting.  It's an order of magnitude slower than nroff.

Isn't solaris7 heavily optimized for the Ultra Sparc (64-bit) SPARC Cpus?
Just something I'd heard tossed around someplace.

> The other reason that using SM41's in a SS20 isn't such a hot
> idea is that
> they slow the mbus from 50MHz to 40MHz, losing the primary
> advantage of
> the SS20 over the SS10.  A faster CPU (SM50, SM61 or up but
> not the SM51)

Why not the SM51?  Isn't that a 50Mhz CPU with 1 meg of cache?

[snip]

   Thanks again (sorry I'm posting in my sleep),
	Greg