[SunRescue] The latest haul 8-)

andrew m hoerter amh at POBOX.COM
Thu Sep 16 18:05:58 CDT 1999

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Bjrn Ramqvist wrote:

> (I've always hated AIX for some reason, plus HP-UX, but that's another
> story...)

I first encountered AIX as a user, on a 320H running
version 3.2.5 (?).

I noted with some amusement that even the manual pages had
succumbed to IBM-speak, referring to hard disks as DASDs
and so forth.

"cp: traverse user data blocks stored in random access format on a DASD
and sequentially replicate to a new UFS directory entry"

IBM's tech writers seem capable of obfuscating the simplest of
concepts...

The user licensing was really weird too, there was a concurrent user
session limit, and to raise it you had to pay IBM ... but there
was nothing to prevent the admin from raising it himself with
a simple command.  If it's that easy, why bother charging for
it?

-andrew
--
Religion has done love a great service by making it a sin.
                -- Anatole France