[SunRescue] Sync-on-green vs SGI

Mike Meredith at home hmv at port.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 06:31:56 CDT 1999

"Bjrn Ramqvist" wrote:

> Mike Meredith at home wrote:
> >
> > > SGI - Sync-on-green (3 BNC)
> >
> > I think many SGI's will let you set where the sync goes --- the setmon
> > manual page indicates that it can be almost anything.
>
> That's very true, but then again, what about the console?
> I know the console is running at 1280x1024x60Hz on Indigo2's and such,
> until they're up and running in kernel-mode.

"setmon changes the video output format to the one specified; it also
 specifies the default video format   to be used at system power-up or

(from the IRIX manual page)

A bit further down, it says that it will only manage to set the power-up
graphics format on graphics systems with an eeprom --- including RE,
Impact, Extreme, etc.

Of course, I haven't *tried* it on any of the SGI's that I've got access
to.